Mordheim 2019 – Alexander Alcazar Jönsson

Alexander Alcazar is the third Alexander of our cabal and a shadow member of Echoes of Imperium. Hailing from the endless dark of northern Sweden he is the man behind the Inquisitorium Facebook group. Having found the truth in radicalism he now dabbles in the chaotic freedom of the Inner Circle.

When I was invited to participate in the M19 event, I had never played Mordheim before. My main skirmish game has always been Necromunda, and Mordheim was released during my little “hobby break” that lasted about 17 years. In any case, I resolved to start building as early as possible to avoid having to rush to finish in the final few days. Needless to say, I failed. I began converting models months in advance, starting with the Necromancer. I had been wanting to do something with the fish familiar from Silver Tower for a while, and it struck me that I could use it as a hat. As goofy as it seemed, it was a very Mordheim-esque idea. I was even inspired to try to do the entire warband in a fish theme (I didn’t)! The model uses flagellant legs with a battlemage torso and cape, but I ended up having to resculpt almost the entire cape since I had to cut it up during assembly. It was a fairly involved conversion in the end, and after finishing it I procrastinated for several months before building anything else. I did eventually manage to build a dreg, basing him on a cleaned-up Poxwalker with Empire legs and the classic bald Flagellant head. The pose on this guy was spot-on I have to say, the slight twist to the leg combined with the facial expression creating a disturbing and threatening model.

Since I realized I didn’t have enough time to do a ton of zombies, I decided to use Ghouls and Dire Wolves in my warband to pad out the points as much as possible. I wanted to use the Shadespire Skaven as Ghouls, since they have very dynamic poses and looked fairly easy to convert. Turns out, I was right! I shaved off the tail and did head- and arm swaps, using Ghoul arms and Poxwalker heads. The creepy smiles of the Poxwalkers made for a different style of ghoul that I feel really works with the horror-ish atmosphere of Mordheim. I also put the leader on a tombstone instead of a stone arch. The only real sculpting I did on these guys was a hood.

For the Dire Wolves, the simplest option I could think of that would still create a unique model (ie not using the admittedly excellent Fenrisian Wolves) was using the Stormcast Gryph-hounds. The movement in these models is incredible, and it was a simple matter to shave of some iconography, swap the heads for skulls (from the appropriately named Skulls set) and sculpt some fur around the necks (I can recommend this wonderful tutorial for sculpting fur).

The last model I did was the vampire herself. The Greyfax model is such a gem, fitting in seamlessly in both 40k and fantasy with minimal conversions with her beautifully ornate armour and lack of clutter and accessories. The Daemonette head I used for the conversion has very dynamic, flowing hair, and I tried to mimic it in the cape I sculpted for her. In the end, I wasn’t very successful on that front, but it works well enough. I both love and hate the sword I chose (from the Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon), being incredibly cool but at the same time incredibly fragile. I broke two of them and didn’t have time to get a third, so at the moment she’s rocking a sad Narsil-wannabe excuse for a sword, unpainted and poorly repaired on the day of the event. I will hopefully get back to her with a new sword, and also to do the freehand on the shield I didn’t have the guts to try in the short time I had.

When it came to painting, I decided to keep it simple. Drab greys, browns and beige, contrasted with a dark crimson for the Ghouls and the vampire and a muted blue for the Necromancer and dregs. The Dire Wolves got a very quick and dirty paint job two days before the event, which I intended to go back and finish if I had time (I didn’t). The dark black/blue is a classic “evil” look and contrasts nicely with the bright skull heads. Generally, I find that using several strong colors on a single miniature runs the risk of looking busy, especially when you want a cohesive look across a group of models. By using a warm red and a cool blue as contrasting colors on different models I think I managed to get a fairly dramatic look overall even though these two colors never appear together on any one miniature.

In the end, despite my usual procrastination, I’m very happy with the outcome, and I do want to return and finish of the last few touches and perhaps add a model or two to the warband. I want to give a huge thanks to Alexander Winberg for organizing this incredible event, and also to the participants for being some of the most genuine and friendly people I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet. Until next time!

-Alexander Winberg-

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.